Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Thursday, August 19, 2004

How's your passion?

Last night I went over to my brother's house. They got a jet ski about two weeks ago, and he has been inviting me over for a spin. What a hoot. They are great fun. There were a couple tricky things, mostly remembering not to back off the throttle too much, especially in turns as you lose steering. It is all done by the jet of water, there is no rudder. The other was counter-steering -- there isn't any.

Those were the motorcycle habits I had to overcome. The rest of my habits, particularly leaning into corners were very helpful. I was zipping along very quickly and jumping waves and wakes, doing hard turns and kicking out the stern at pretty good speeds. I think part of the fun is you feel like you've accomplished something much trickier than it is in reality. A good ego stroke. And all the fun of a fast, twisty, bouncy ride that I enjoy so much.

Sometimes I scorn our modern toys. I suppose that's why I was never on a jet ski before, but have owned several kayaks. I've thought kayaks were wonderful since my grandfather built one around 1970 for my cousin. I bought mine right before they became all the rage, but when they were gaining some popularity and no longer obscure. I'd like to get another one, now that they have enjoyed so many technical improvements, and the prices have dropped. I'd like to get one with a rudder, and one that is fairly wide so I don't have to be as attentive. The rolly ones are fun, but not so good if you're doing other things. Also, a more stable one would be better when not moving, especially in choppy water with a fishing pole. I think they would be a blast for fishing, though finding one with accessible stowage that could hold a cooler could be a trick. The cooler is for the catch folks. Drinks come later.

In a kayak there is a feeling of satisfaction when you cut through the water at a good clip using your own muscle power. The jet ski gives you the feeling of controlling something powerful with your muscles too. They are very different sensations for me, though the enjoyment is similar.

This gets me to thinking about my acting and other theatre pursuits. There is a similar type joy. It is a deeper experience for me as it flexes muscles along with so many other parts of my being that have a more profound meaning to my personal identity. I was laughing and hollering with delight last night, enjoying myself with more enthusiasm and abandon than I knew five years ago. Do you think following your passion puts more zest and passion back into the rest of your life? (I'd be really curious to hear any thoughts.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home