Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Sunday, July 04, 2004

Two wheels, two evenings, two procrastinations

Yesterday, I left myself without an extra second. I popped down to the auto part store, they had neither spark plugs of the right size or chain lubricant. At least they had gas cans and WD-40. Then I made a quick stop at the liquor store to pick up little one shot bottles of Courvoisier cognac for the cast. Big cast, and I got one each for the stage manager, lighting designer, and artistic director too. I'd checked with John's dad two weeks ago, to be sure it was alright. I didn't want him to feel left out and would have thought of something else if Peter had reservations about sending his son home with a shot of brandy. I got one for Peter too. I like getting French products to thumb my nose at the whitehouse, and this was what I thought of for cast gifts for our French story. I borrowed the idea of Susan Altorico's gift of Irish Whiskey for a Synge piece (Riders on the Sea) we did this Winter.

Back at the house, I pulled the gas tank off the 1978 Suzuki 750. Set it on a platform to drain out the old gas. It didn't look bad at all. I didn't want to mess around, so I'm glad I did it. I'll pour it into the truck. Since I couldn't find new spark plugs I had to clean the existing ones. Next, I replaced the gas tank, and put two gallons of fresh supreme in it, from the new gas can I'd filled during my errands. Now for the messiest part. The gas in the tank was fresh, and the plugs were cleaned and sanded.

The gas sitting in the carburetor floats needed to be flushed. A leap of faith was required. I loosened the screw on the first float, and it dripped much too slowly. So I backed it all the way out. The fuel initially looked like coffee. It evaporates over time, and more gas from the tank replenishes it, making a concentrate the engine doesn't appreciate. Trying to start the engine with that fuel would instantly foul the plugs again, and I'd have to redo the cleaning step.

The gas ran clean in a second or two, then it was frantically trying to get the screw back in, around the quickly draining gas. I managed it, though it was a bit tense. Three more leaps of faith. I managed to get the three remaining screws out, and back in without losing too much fuel. I learned my lesson on the first, and started rethreading the screws as soon as I got them out.

Now for the moment of truth. I hadn't been able to start the bike for over a year. I tried last Fall, and it had been sitting long enough that the plugs were fouled by some concentrated gas, and it wouldn't start. With Meisner, the old bike never made it to the priority list. After such long neglect, the battery was weak, and I had to get out my jumper pack. Rr-rr-rr... It turned over several times then started up smoothly. I set the choke to let it idle a little fast and got showered and cleaned up. That took about thirty minutes, and the battery took enough charge, and was able to start on it's own.

Off to the theatre and there just in time, which for me is fifteen minutes before actor's call, or 75 minutes before curtain. I like to get there a whole hour early to just sit in the space and feel the energy I so love. I like it best in a silent empty house, but even when there are people working and talking to me I still get all I need and more. Something about sitting in the audience seats before a show... It makes me feel more energized, in tune and present.

I got to ride a bike again, and will have something I can park easily for the show today. Seattle Center is likely to be packed for 4th of July events.

It was good to get that bike running again, and the night before I had finally got to hang with the cast after the show. I had been missing that, with Meisner rehearsal obligations preventing me staying out too late every night thus far. Catching up on things I really wanted to do the last two days has softened the ache of being done with the Meisner ensemble.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home