Reconnecting
On Sunday I went to see a show with Rachel, called Shock Brigades. A study of women fighting in five different conflicts, Viet Nam, Nicaragua, WWII (USSR), WWII (Jewish ghetto), and South Africa. Outstanding performances, the script needs some workshopping -- the risk of being playwright and director was demonstrated. The lack of cogent or stand-alone story lines made it difficult to follow, and the high but level energy was soporific causing the attention to wander. I am still not sure what was intended to be the central theme(s). There was some proselytizing thrown in as well. A very nice work in progress, and with some tightening and focus a piece that could really capture and affect. It was enjoyable, and every time I watch a show I think about my writing projects, hoping to learn something for myself as well.
Afterwards we met up with two of the actors, at their house which is in the midst of an impressive refurbishment. Very nice people, lending a venerable old house a comfortable energy.
Last night Beth and her Mom (Peg) came over to watch Finding Nemo on my tv. I've a nice big screen and decent low-end theatre system I got 5 years ago. I hadn't seen the movie in quite a while, so that was very fun. They brought over homemade macaroni and cheese, and sausage. Grilled the sausage, warmed the macaroni, watched the movie, ate my homemade cookies. Aaron got home about half way through the movie and joined us. A nice little group, and Aaron was happy getting to show his recent wedding pictures to Peg.
Tonight I'll be meeting Paula and Steve after my chiropractor and an audition. The chiropractor will loosen me up, which is good because I'm not prepared for the audition. It will consist of reading sides, but I like to read the whole play ahead of time, and I've only read the first quarter or third. I expect to be in a good place as I'll have my get together with Steve and Paula to look forward to. I'll be paying close attention to the director, as I don't know yet if I want to do the show. I like the script thus far, Neil Simon's Rumors. The theatre company is under new management, which is good becasue I was put off by the old management. All the shows were well down, which is why I was interested in the first place. I also have little internal voices arguing "You should look more towards fringe theatre.", and "Don't be snooty, you very much like and believe in community theatre." I don't feel I am being snooty or taking a less risky path, but I do need to be aware of what I could fall into. I want to use what I have learned over the last year, and not waste it either.
It will certainly be good to see Steve and Paula without two or three active projects going on. Just take a moment to relax with two of my very best friends, and see if they have any projects in the works. It is Steve's 27th birthday today, and I am hoping for a minute at a Toy Store, to find a Rubik's Cube. Seems the perfect mathematical gift. A 3x3x3 cube, 27...
That is the best thing about the break so far. Three days of reconnecting with old friends.
Afterwards we met up with two of the actors, at their house which is in the midst of an impressive refurbishment. Very nice people, lending a venerable old house a comfortable energy.
Last night Beth and her Mom (Peg) came over to watch Finding Nemo on my tv. I've a nice big screen and decent low-end theatre system I got 5 years ago. I hadn't seen the movie in quite a while, so that was very fun. They brought over homemade macaroni and cheese, and sausage. Grilled the sausage, warmed the macaroni, watched the movie, ate my homemade cookies. Aaron got home about half way through the movie and joined us. A nice little group, and Aaron was happy getting to show his recent wedding pictures to Peg.
Tonight I'll be meeting Paula and Steve after my chiropractor and an audition. The chiropractor will loosen me up, which is good because I'm not prepared for the audition. It will consist of reading sides, but I like to read the whole play ahead of time, and I've only read the first quarter or third. I expect to be in a good place as I'll have my get together with Steve and Paula to look forward to. I'll be paying close attention to the director, as I don't know yet if I want to do the show. I like the script thus far, Neil Simon's Rumors. The theatre company is under new management, which is good becasue I was put off by the old management. All the shows were well down, which is why I was interested in the first place. I also have little internal voices arguing "You should look more towards fringe theatre.", and "Don't be snooty, you very much like and believe in community theatre." I don't feel I am being snooty or taking a less risky path, but I do need to be aware of what I could fall into. I want to use what I have learned over the last year, and not waste it either.
It will certainly be good to see Steve and Paula without two or three active projects going on. Just take a moment to relax with two of my very best friends, and see if they have any projects in the works. It is Steve's 27th birthday today, and I am hoping for a minute at a Toy Store, to find a Rubik's Cube. Seems the perfect mathematical gift. A 3x3x3 cube, 27...
That is the best thing about the break so far. Three days of reconnecting with old friends.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home