Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Thursday, July 29, 2004

People watching

Did some people watching at the concert (Bela Fleck and the FleckTones).  Before the show started some people were making phone calls to pass the time.  I found it amusing to notice how many people stood up to talk on their cell phones.  One or two people were standing up looking around and waving while on their cell phones, trying join up with friends which seemed pretty normal.  The rest were standing in a sea of seated people, talking on their cell phones.  They looked a little loopy.

We found a great place to sit, Beth went on a food run to one of the vendors, and I watched our stuff.  One of the cell phone standers was several blankets over talking deliberately loud, "Okay, now this is kind of technical..."  He was funny for several reasons.  He sounded pretty slow-witted which made it seem he was the one who needed technical guidance.  He was condescending, and nasty to the person on the other end of the line.  About one hundred people heard his end of the conversation.  "Who cares?", you ask.  Well, it was a situation that will go into my writing toolbox.  He was obviously trying to communicate something about himself to his audience.  The difference between how people perceived him and what he believed he was projecting about himself would be a fun thing to investigate.  A series of short monologs and dialogs, starting and ending with his...  Or more likely, as part of a larger piece.

Another person cracked me up.  I chuckle at teens and very young men, posturing, or wearing goofy clothes or hairdos, trying to find ways to get attention from the ladies.  I remember the times I did the same, and even though the dorky fashions are different the spirit is the same, as well as the 'friends' who show you embarrassing pictures ten or twenty years later.  Is shaving my head the same sort of thing?  When you are laughing at yourself at the same time it makes things all the more enjoyable.  There was a teen girl, and I am horrible at guessing ages, but I'd say between 17 and 19, wearing a tight shirt showing all her contours.  Too young to be interesting to me now, though I still related to the proud strut as she walked all the way across the meadow between all the blankets and seats several times, in case anyone missed her.  I enjoyed the parade, and remembrances which created a one-sided camaraderie.  She was most probably getting a lot of leers from the younger fellas, and I just watched the dance.  Of course I'm not immune, one of the women I leered was probably her mom.

There was a huge cop there, I'd guess 300-350 pounds.  About my height, but much larger, and I ain't a small guy.  I noticed his face was very handsome, a very poster boy looking cop was under all that padding.  He seemed a good cop despite the weight problem, and it gave me something to work on for my role as a cop this Fall.

Beth got back, bringing me a barbecue sandwich.  Not bad at all, not quite tremendous either.  I was very hungry, which brought it much closer to the tremendous end of the scale.  It was a good show, though a several of the pieces were too long.  There wasn't enough contrast in the phrases, making it seem to drone after a while.  There were some very nice pieces, and their final piece was an over long bit of fusion jazz I think; something with a discordant jamming sound.  It was my least favorite song.  I know some really people like it, but it's like nails on a chalkboard for me.  Same with a lot of modern classical music.  The encore was wonderful, a pixieish whimsical piece which was my favorite of the evening.  It had a Dixieland energy to it, if not the sound.

I had a dream about my ex-wife early in the week.  Kind of weird, as I rarely think of her.  Even more unexpected, it was an amicable encounter.  The marriage was my most unhappy period and the divorce wasn't amicable.  Though it was ages ago, the amicable nature of the dream was surprising.  Don't remember anything of the dream beyond that.  As I recall she was very into music, especially the non-headliners.  That created my own bizarre experience at the concert.  Every time I saw a heavyset blonde I wondered if I would recognize her.  Glad it wasn't a precognitive dream.   ; )

I am looking forward to my next trip to the zoo.  I wish they had longer hours, though they are open an hour later in the Summer, 9:30 to 6PM.  So many of the animals are most active at dawn and dusk, it seems a shame to miss it.  Oh well, getting there at the crack of 9:30 will have to do.  That means I better finish reading the script again tonight or tomorrow if I want to go this weekend.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home