Beggar Scott
Thursday I chatted with my brother. He is terribly excited with the jet ski he just got. We joked about the Waterworld scene with the submerged jet skis ambushing by bursting through surface of the water. Thought it was a good time to watch that bad movie again. He figured they would be out until dark on Friday and Saturday and I would come over between 9:30 and 10:00.
On Friday I met my friend Beth for dinner an Namasthe in Redmond, a very nice vegetarian restaurant. We had a great time catching up, and afterwards I was really bushed. Long hot days seem to sap the energy, even when you spend eight or nine hours in the air conditioning. You can't totally isolate yourself from the outside world. Thank your God(s).
I called their house, and Tonia was the only one home and she sounded a bit beat herself. So I begged off, to go catch up on shut eye. And I did. Got to sleep before 11 PM, and slept in wonderfully getting nearly ten hours rest. It set me up for Saturday.
I dropped off some props from one of last year's shows for Susan Alotrico, who needed them back for some camping trips. I was happy to oblige over to Ballard and dropped them off, then stopped by the shop and swapped bikes. Have my preferred bike, the Moto Guzzi back, and have the old, old Suzuki in for a little maintenance. Then over to the North Bend public library.
I was looking for an air conditioned coffee shop, and couldn't find one. I understand there is a Starbucks just off the freeway by the outlet malls, but I was in a writing mood and that sort of a place is death for my creative juices. The library in North Bend was just right. Got a couple new scenes, though I think one is a throw-away. The type that gives the writer some back story, but is a little more than an audience would want or need. I am pushing forward. I am interested in the story line, though I'm not delighted with the script. I still think it has potential so once again, having something to work with and improve is a much better than having nothing at all written.
Then I went for a meal at Tweeds or Twin Peaks. I really like the restaurant with two names, it has a big hamburger selection (40), of juicy burgers that eventually disintegrate the bun, so that you either finish up with a knife and fork, or look like a one year old after diving into that first birthday cake. I even had a salad and dessert. Very middle america type stuff, and I loved it. Worked on the second read through of Rumors, the play I am working on for November. This time through I'll start taking character notes when I get to the last ten pages or so where I enter and get to be the main character for a bit.
After dinner I went up to the (Unity) hall where Spolin Players work. I run the lights for them when I have a chance. I did regularly for over a year, and this year have whenever my schedule was free. It is kind of fun to run the board for a improv show, as it is always a challenge to follow the show and have the lights appropriate. There aren't any real good channels for areas, so I can't light the sides or middle of the stage, but I can still work moods a bit with intensity. I'm no lighting tech, but I do what I can. Last night I rarely brought the lights up full because it was so damn hot. Even at 70% the stage warmed up quite a bit, but it kept the circuit breakers for the spots in the back of the house and the two air conditioners for tripping all the time.
When the show was done a few of us met at a nice Italian place just a couple doors the other way from Tweed's. Again I was pretty drained from all the heat, and called my brother's house again. I figured they were tired in a similar way, or at least I hoped they were, as I begged off again. I let the phone ring once or twice, then hung up. Long enough for the caller id to catch my number. They could call me if they really wanted company, and I could say, "Well I tried but nobody answered." Here's hoping that was gracious. I got home, thought about my script, didn't come up with anything new and eventually fell asleep for another long rest. I feel all rested and refreshed and now have a couple parties to go to. One with my group from Expedia, the other with the group of friends that started when we all worked at Microsoft around 1996.
On Friday I met my friend Beth for dinner an Namasthe in Redmond, a very nice vegetarian restaurant. We had a great time catching up, and afterwards I was really bushed. Long hot days seem to sap the energy, even when you spend eight or nine hours in the air conditioning. You can't totally isolate yourself from the outside world. Thank your God(s).
I called their house, and Tonia was the only one home and she sounded a bit beat herself. So I begged off, to go catch up on shut eye. And I did. Got to sleep before 11 PM, and slept in wonderfully getting nearly ten hours rest. It set me up for Saturday.
I dropped off some props from one of last year's shows for Susan Alotrico, who needed them back for some camping trips. I was happy to oblige over to Ballard and dropped them off, then stopped by the shop and swapped bikes. Have my preferred bike, the Moto Guzzi back, and have the old, old Suzuki in for a little maintenance. Then over to the North Bend public library.
I was looking for an air conditioned coffee shop, and couldn't find one. I understand there is a Starbucks just off the freeway by the outlet malls, but I was in a writing mood and that sort of a place is death for my creative juices. The library in North Bend was just right. Got a couple new scenes, though I think one is a throw-away. The type that gives the writer some back story, but is a little more than an audience would want or need. I am pushing forward. I am interested in the story line, though I'm not delighted with the script. I still think it has potential so once again, having something to work with and improve is a much better than having nothing at all written.
Then I went for a meal at Tweeds or Twin Peaks. I really like the restaurant with two names, it has a big hamburger selection (40), of juicy burgers that eventually disintegrate the bun, so that you either finish up with a knife and fork, or look like a one year old after diving into that first birthday cake. I even had a salad and dessert. Very middle america type stuff, and I loved it. Worked on the second read through of Rumors, the play I am working on for November. This time through I'll start taking character notes when I get to the last ten pages or so where I enter and get to be the main character for a bit.
After dinner I went up to the (Unity) hall where Spolin Players work. I run the lights for them when I have a chance. I did regularly for over a year, and this year have whenever my schedule was free. It is kind of fun to run the board for a improv show, as it is always a challenge to follow the show and have the lights appropriate. There aren't any real good channels for areas, so I can't light the sides or middle of the stage, but I can still work moods a bit with intensity. I'm no lighting tech, but I do what I can. Last night I rarely brought the lights up full because it was so damn hot. Even at 70% the stage warmed up quite a bit, but it kept the circuit breakers for the spots in the back of the house and the two air conditioners for tripping all the time.
When the show was done a few of us met at a nice Italian place just a couple doors the other way from Tweed's. Again I was pretty drained from all the heat, and called my brother's house again. I figured they were tired in a similar way, or at least I hoped they were, as I begged off again. I let the phone ring once or twice, then hung up. Long enough for the caller id to catch my number. They could call me if they really wanted company, and I could say, "Well I tried but nobody answered." Here's hoping that was gracious. I got home, thought about my script, didn't come up with anything new and eventually fell asleep for another long rest. I feel all rested and refreshed and now have a couple parties to go to. One with my group from Expedia, the other with the group of friends that started when we all worked at Microsoft around 1996.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home