All Done -- For A Moment
Wow. I got home about 2:30 AM, after the Meisner Progression performances, wrote some notes, watched part of Dogma, and went to sleep. It was July 1st when I started, the 2nd when I got home.
An amazing day. Woke up pretty early in the morning, still muzzy from events of the night. I also had a couple shots of gin at our after show gathering. That was after the guests left, after our post show feedback and clean-up. Most, if not all of us overjoyed. Not about our individual work, rather what we saw everyone else do. Now that's an ensemble.
Most of us were on the verge of tears. Joyous, a new beginning, a wrap. God, I am going to miss them so goddamn much. We started drifting out after an hour or two. I walked to the smaller rehearsal room, officially named "Work Space", often referred to as the Meisner Room. It has that meaning for me, though this year we didn't spend that much of our time there. It somehow has more personality. Standing there the whole year landed on me. My heart felt overfilled. I started making my farewells, and left with a little less than half of the class still there. I got home and had last serene celebratory shot. Three shots is a lot for me. After waking early and having a large glass of water, and getting a few things out of my truck I went back to sleep until Noon.
One of the things I got out of my truck was a yellow rose Beth had left for me after the show. I haven't mentioned Beth in my Blog yet, a huge oversight or rare coincidence. We have been very good friends for five years. She has been a huge support for me throughout. I don't think I have never had as good a friend for as long, and certainly not since I was an adult.
Nobody has been to as many of my shows as Beth. She called before I woke, and after one round of tag she caught me. She was amazed by the show, and all the scenes she watched. She has become fairly knowledgeable about theatre, because of my activities and showgoing, and her being so impressed is very meaningful. I don't know how to explain this properly. Her being so impressed with the other scenes was as meaningful to me as anything else. She is one of my best friends, and maybe it indicated an insight into how we all got where we did with each others help and love. I hope to experience another ensemble like that, and wish the same for every one I love.
Upon waking up for good I found a wonderful E-mail from my stepmom, with an "everything she said" from my Dad. I think of them as my folks and introduce them that way. Joyce and I get on extremely well. It is nice to know she is touched that I think of them as my folks and not "Dad and Joyce", which is simply the way I address them.
I FINALLY got my motorcycle to the shop. I should have it back next week. Lovely! Now I am sitting here in the Seattle Center House, at a little table in the middle of the Food Court sniffling and tearing up. I don't give a rip.
Eric, my brother, was absolutely miffed with himself that for missing last night's show. I hadn't expected it meant that much to him. While, for me, it is without a doubt the most important performance I have been associated with in my life, I surely didn't expect it to be as meaningful for every one else, with the additional knowledge that I will have other such epic feeling events. As an artist you would make yourself crazy if you indulged in such a way. If you can't shed the expectation everyone you know should experience your journey first hand, you compromise your soul, your art.
I'd no clue it was important to him. I figured he wanted at a level, where you'd go happily if it worked out easily. I now feel a little sad I didn't remind him. His dismay made his missing the show a very affirming action. The sly fellow. I'll spend Independence Day at his house.
Paula called me. I have worked with Paula on at least four shows. She and Steve, her fiance, are two of my best friends. She and Gregory, another, friend came to the performance last night. They both did the Meisner Progression several years ago, and ETI (Ensemble Training Intensive) at Freehold. ETI is a 10 month, full time professional training program. I am thinking of applying for that program in a year or two, when it is available. It is a hard thought, as I'll have to give up my job, or try to get on half time for the duration. Either way it will be a financial adventure.
In the shows I've worked with Paula, I've built and designed sets, stage managed, tech directed, etc. In two of them I've had small roles. We've worked together a lot, she is a professional, and as I mentioned one of my best friends. Knowing she would be there was comforting. Her presence, because she is a professional had more likelihood to make me nervous than anything else. Gregory too. I've seen them both work as actors, and they are brilliant. Most of us did not experience nerves last night. The trust of the ensemble, which kept me from feeling nerves. Paula gave me the most wonderful hug after our scene. It was a best affirmation ever she could have given me.
Rachel, another very good friend was there. Another talented and professional director, as well as one of my former instructors. We also get together for writing sessions, and like Paula she is also a professional artist in every sense. She said something to me after the scene. I don't remember what it was exactly. She has seen me on most of my journey, from the first class I had from her, where I was nearly at the stage of rote recitation. The words did not stick, but the thought and support did. I remember my response, and I still mean it every bit as much, "Thank you, that means a lot coming from you."
I talked to Paula right after talking to Beth. Rachel called me while I was talking to Paula. So did Dad. I got to talk to everyone, sort of. Dad was driving so I talked mostly to Joyce, but will talk with him in a little while. The love, the acute and complimentary observations, and the ease the gave me over the phone. All these people. They are all my friends, and I wouldn't willingly give up a one of them for anything. I can't think of anyone more important and meaningful to have with me, and they were all there last night. Oh shit, I'm a bit sniffly again.
I am getting ready to start prepping for Les Liaisons Dangereuses. A lot of stress has lifted, and I am looking forward to this show more than I expected. I just realized all my same friends, and that category absolutely includes my folks, have or will come this show too. I am so, so blessed.
An amazing day. Woke up pretty early in the morning, still muzzy from events of the night. I also had a couple shots of gin at our after show gathering. That was after the guests left, after our post show feedback and clean-up. Most, if not all of us overjoyed. Not about our individual work, rather what we saw everyone else do. Now that's an ensemble.
Most of us were on the verge of tears. Joyous, a new beginning, a wrap. God, I am going to miss them so goddamn much. We started drifting out after an hour or two. I walked to the smaller rehearsal room, officially named "Work Space", often referred to as the Meisner Room. It has that meaning for me, though this year we didn't spend that much of our time there. It somehow has more personality. Standing there the whole year landed on me. My heart felt overfilled. I started making my farewells, and left with a little less than half of the class still there. I got home and had last serene celebratory shot. Three shots is a lot for me. After waking early and having a large glass of water, and getting a few things out of my truck I went back to sleep until Noon.
One of the things I got out of my truck was a yellow rose Beth had left for me after the show. I haven't mentioned Beth in my Blog yet, a huge oversight or rare coincidence. We have been very good friends for five years. She has been a huge support for me throughout. I don't think I have never had as good a friend for as long, and certainly not since I was an adult.
Nobody has been to as many of my shows as Beth. She called before I woke, and after one round of tag she caught me. She was amazed by the show, and all the scenes she watched. She has become fairly knowledgeable about theatre, because of my activities and showgoing, and her being so impressed is very meaningful. I don't know how to explain this properly. Her being so impressed with the other scenes was as meaningful to me as anything else. She is one of my best friends, and maybe it indicated an insight into how we all got where we did with each others help and love. I hope to experience another ensemble like that, and wish the same for every one I love.
Upon waking up for good I found a wonderful E-mail from my stepmom, with an "everything she said" from my Dad. I think of them as my folks and introduce them that way. Joyce and I get on extremely well. It is nice to know she is touched that I think of them as my folks and not "Dad and Joyce", which is simply the way I address them.
I FINALLY got my motorcycle to the shop. I should have it back next week. Lovely! Now I am sitting here in the Seattle Center House, at a little table in the middle of the Food Court sniffling and tearing up. I don't give a rip.
Eric, my brother, was absolutely miffed with himself that for missing last night's show. I hadn't expected it meant that much to him. While, for me, it is without a doubt the most important performance I have been associated with in my life, I surely didn't expect it to be as meaningful for every one else, with the additional knowledge that I will have other such epic feeling events. As an artist you would make yourself crazy if you indulged in such a way. If you can't shed the expectation everyone you know should experience your journey first hand, you compromise your soul, your art.
I'd no clue it was important to him. I figured he wanted at a level, where you'd go happily if it worked out easily. I now feel a little sad I didn't remind him. His dismay made his missing the show a very affirming action. The sly fellow. I'll spend Independence Day at his house.
Paula called me. I have worked with Paula on at least four shows. She and Steve, her fiance, are two of my best friends. She and Gregory, another, friend came to the performance last night. They both did the Meisner Progression several years ago, and ETI (Ensemble Training Intensive) at Freehold. ETI is a 10 month, full time professional training program. I am thinking of applying for that program in a year or two, when it is available. It is a hard thought, as I'll have to give up my job, or try to get on half time for the duration. Either way it will be a financial adventure.
In the shows I've worked with Paula, I've built and designed sets, stage managed, tech directed, etc. In two of them I've had small roles. We've worked together a lot, she is a professional, and as I mentioned one of my best friends. Knowing she would be there was comforting. Her presence, because she is a professional had more likelihood to make me nervous than anything else. Gregory too. I've seen them both work as actors, and they are brilliant. Most of us did not experience nerves last night. The trust of the ensemble, which kept me from feeling nerves. Paula gave me the most wonderful hug after our scene. It was a best affirmation ever she could have given me.
Rachel, another very good friend was there. Another talented and professional director, as well as one of my former instructors. We also get together for writing sessions, and like Paula she is also a professional artist in every sense. She said something to me after the scene. I don't remember what it was exactly. She has seen me on most of my journey, from the first class I had from her, where I was nearly at the stage of rote recitation. The words did not stick, but the thought and support did. I remember my response, and I still mean it every bit as much, "Thank you, that means a lot coming from you."
I talked to Paula right after talking to Beth. Rachel called me while I was talking to Paula. So did Dad. I got to talk to everyone, sort of. Dad was driving so I talked mostly to Joyce, but will talk with him in a little while. The love, the acute and complimentary observations, and the ease the gave me over the phone. All these people. They are all my friends, and I wouldn't willingly give up a one of them for anything. I can't think of anyone more important and meaningful to have with me, and they were all there last night. Oh shit, I'm a bit sniffly again.
I am getting ready to start prepping for Les Liaisons Dangereuses. A lot of stress has lifted, and I am looking forward to this show more than I expected. I just realized all my same friends, and that category absolutely includes my folks, have or will come this show too. I am so, so blessed.
1 Comments:
Ahhhhh. That was wonderful. I loved the long liesurely think-through. Ringing the changes. I like knowing exactly where you were sitting when you wrote it. That grounded this whole post, somehow. The Seattle Centerhouse is a hearts of theatre in Seattle, so it's appropriate you were there.
I think my exact words right after your scene were, "That was EXCELLENT." You and your scene partner felt like real people, in a real space. At first I felt like I was eavesdropping on a play that had already begun. But after you guys got to the bedroom, I felt like I was eavesdropping on a real life, a moment between two private people.
Post a Comment
<< Home