Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Friday, October 04, 2002

Diatribal Diaspora

Polarization, anger, family/tribe, and estrangement are on my mind lately.

Right now I am at a point where I sincerely believe supporting the neocons of our current leadership is at best driven by greed, deliberate ignorance, and/or racism/sexism. The only other explanation I can conceive for supporting these people is cowardice at it's most despicable and vicious, and I'm not sure you can separate cowardice from the others. They appear to be symptomatic of fearfulness.

I believe my younger brother to be the most courageous and intelligent of our brood. Yet, I see him fervently embracing doctrines in absolute opposition to courage and intelligence. I don't know what to make of it. I have not talked to him since I cut him off during our phone conversation nearly a month ago. I don't think I want get in touch again for another month -- after the election. I do not want to bear him repeating neocon sound bites, bogus statistics, or the digging little insults right now. I worry I can't simply let it go right now. I am too likely to say something as mean-spirited, which would likely tear us apart for many years. It's not equitable, it just is.

America may well be in the midst of a civil war. For my brother and I the first two casualties have been a loss of civility, followed by a loss of closeness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home