Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Thursday, December 06, 1990

Moves

Originally posted 9/6/06
====================================================
Okay, this is silly, but I feel very sad. Today was one of my co-worker's last day of work. I started working with her my first or second day at Expedia, and the system she was program manager for has been the majority of my work until my recent change to a different job description. I have enjoyed working with her, and we've always managed to communicate clearly. A unique experience, having someone that will actually stop and look at a problem from a different angle to consider other options. It has been a two way street and when one of us has made a decision that was not what the other envisioned we always understood the other's need. No bruised feelings, just a great working relationship that functioned to come up with the best solution for all, and I can't think of a situation where we did something I considered dopey. How often can a tech geek say that?

I've grown to consider her a very good friend at work and will miss her a lot. It's likely we'll not meet again, and I find that surprisingly sad. It's not like theatre where there is the expectation it is more likely than not you'll see your friends again after a project is completed. I will miss her friendship and professionalism. I feel irked Expedia didn't work to keep her. I'd guess she didn't play the political game, and it is our loss and her new employer's gain. Just between us, if she'd been fifteen years older (or myself younger) I'd have been tempted to ask her out once we weren't in effect working in the same group. Of course I feel the same way about a lot of actors I work with, as it seems all the intelligent (and most actors are) and interesting ones who are my age are involved. It is nice to find people I like as much in the tech world -- it reminds me of the world outside of art, which artists should serve.

I'm removing caffeine. No coffee this morning, though I've had two 12oz Diet Cokes today. Stopped my evening drinks a while ago too. I've really detox'd my system by adjusting my diet, and figured I might as well cut out those toxins. I've been feeling like it is Spring, and wonder if the final bit of detox'ing will make a difference. We'll see. Maybe this the new adjustment has my emotions on edge, like a silly old guy wanting to buy a flashy sports car -- I do miss my Corvette. Maybe, but as I think about it I suspect I would be sad to see a friend go in any case.

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Expedia is without question the best place I've ever worked, either as a military combatant or a civilian. I did a little research before I accepted the position to see how they were viewed, and was quite impressed. There were surprisingly few complaints as compared to other companies, and for the most part it was a matter of very bad luck, or like my maternal relatives, people who don't feel alive without manufacturing grievances. There is no way you can avoid getting them agitated, since that is what they live for. So, we provide an additional service by providing those bitter grievance seekers with a reason to live.

This is likely not your case, because the spelling and grammar on your web page and the bad links showed me your problem was most likely a technical challenge. Web vendors continually strive to support those who are not technically adept or internet savvy, but can never be 100% successful.

I doubt you’ll ever read this, which is fine as I plan to archive this post as too maudlin anyway, which will also archive your comments. If you were an actual reader instead of a prairie dogger (interloper), you’d know Expedia has supported my outside life as an artist more than could be reasonably expected.

I worked with a manager a couple times who continually groused about how everyone he dealt with at Microsoft or Corbis was totally screwed up. I got tired of it one day and quipped, “If everyone else is always screwed up, maybe it is really a matter of perspective.” Despite his totally self absorbed world view he got it which surprised me, but not right away.

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home