Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

My Photo
Location: Redmond, Washington, U.S. Inc. (Formerly U.S.A.)

Back to Blogging

I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.

Friday, December 26, 2008

Runaway Getaway

My Winter vacation didn't work out as nice as last year. I wasn't able to take the entire two weeks, so lost three or four days off the front. Then the cold snap was a bit much. Very little writing was done, just a little bad poetry and finishing the solo performance piece so that I have written down what I actually did. I assume the poetry is bad because I have very little experience, and meter does not yet get much attention. I'm still striving for syllables and rhymes.

I expected the second full week would give me time in the converted school bus to get in some uninterrupted writing time. Wrong. My trip from Duncan (on Vancouver Island) to Denman Island (a Gulf Island a mile off of Vancouver Island) was delayed a day until Monday the 15th because of 14 inches of new snow. It was dark by the time I arrived, and -7C (19 degrees F). Good exercise -- it is between and third and half mile walk to the bus, through about a foot of snow, ironically it was deeper on the trail thanks to drifting and the break in the canopy. The hoar frost was stunning in the moonlit fields. One of my poems is about that image.

The trip to the bus was pleasant, then it took a lot of work to start the fire. The wood was damp, and the fire start cubes helped. Finally I got a blaze going, and with two pairs of sleeping bags, one inside the other, and a couple layers of clothes I went to bed. I expected I'd wake up really toasty and have to shed some clothing. Instead, I started shivering about an hour later. The damp wood fire just wasn't enough to bring up the temp. I finally admitted defeat and trekked back to the house.

The next day I hiked down to the bus every two or three hours with dry firewood, and it was a bit warmer so I had a comfy night and morning. Then it started snowing heavily, dumping at least another 14 inches by Wednesday evening. And cold again, then even colder. Just a little more of a snow challenge than I would have enjoyed. Instead of a writing retreat, I felt like a nuisance (though I wasn't treated as such). I was really looking for more solo time to write and decompress. Didn't really do either very well. Still I was out of the office for a while and that helps.

The snow wasn't going anywhere, and every day it seemed we got a few more inches to make up for any settling or sublimation, keeping the total at more than two feet. The challenge became getting my car out. The first 3/4 mile was their unplowed driveway and start of the public dirt road. We ended up hiring a backhoe to get me to the plowed portion of the provincial dirt road -- only $60 Canadian, which I didn't mind a bit covering. Then it was 200 miles last Saturday, mostly on packed snow and ice. Made for a long day.

I of course left my chains at home, but they came in handy on Tuesday, so I was able to come into the office. I found I don't like working remotely for a couple reasons. One, is it blurs the line between life and work which could be fixed by setting up a separate office, and secondly my home set up is not so ergonomic. It would take some different furniture to set it up for working long stints. Right now I'm in the office watching the heavy snow try to turn to rain.

And, here is a clip at Aaron and Sonya's I took a week ago today. I'd like to edit out the rough transitions. Moving tripod in deep snow = klunky. The horses loved the canters (0:50 and 3:15) in the snow. I suspect they were aware of their rooster tails.


Blogger B.D. said...

Nice to see the video. Out here in Monrovia, we had 23 inches on the ground by Friday. Much of it is still there despite the recent rains. In fact, I've been watching cars having difficulty navigating this morning thanks to the ice and rain.

How are your plants? I watered them as we spoke about. I'm afraid that I didn't get to the stevia before the snow fall. :-(

4:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home